On Monday, Tesla CEO Elon Musk, along with the mayor of Shanghai, officially announced the beginning of construction works “Giavarini” in China. According to reports, the facility will produce electric cars for the Chinese and some other Asian markets with an annual capacity of 500 000 Tesla Model 3 and subsequently is scheduled to start production of electric crossover Model Y. the Local production of the most accessible and popular version of the electric car will be important in the case of trade wars between the US and China, or significant changes in exchange rates.
As said Elon Musk: “It will be the most advanced Giavarina Tesla”, and added: “Having resources that we can build the plant in record time, and we hope to start production of Tesla Model 3 is closer to the end of the year, and mass production in next year.”
Here we summarize all the facts that we know about automotive plant, which Tesla intends to build on its second-largest market (China, probably in the future can become the first number).
Facts about the Tesla Gigafactory 3:
- Location: Shanghai, China.
- Subsidiary a fully owned Tesla (not joint venture).
- Construction should be completed by the end of the summer.
- The production of electric vehicles should begin in the second half of 2019 (the volume of production in 2020).
- The expected total investment: about $ 2 billion.
- Goal: production of affordable versions of the Model 3/Y for the Chinese market (the more expensive version of the Model 3/Y and all of the Model S/X will be made in the USA).
- Batteries will be collected using lithium-ion cells from multiple vendors, including Panasonic.
- Expected production capacity: 500, 000 a year.